Cheryl Lynn & Father MC

This post's sample is drawn from a classic song by Cheryl Lynn, Got To Be Real. This song has been sampled over 100 times (just through whosampled), and one of the most well known of these samples is Father MC's I'll Do 4 U featuring Mary J. Blige. 


Cheryl Lynn is an R&B singer/songwriter that was incredibly popular during the 1970s-1980s, most notably for Got To Be Real which was released in 1978. The song reached #1 on the Billboard R&B Chart, and is certified RIAA Platinum. It is by far her most popular song, with good reason! Cheryl released a total of 9 albums during her career, all between the late 70s to late 90s. Interestingly, Got To Be Real was actually the first single that she ever released, which jumpstarted her career. 

She is an incredible vocalist, and the song is filled with amazing harmonies, as well as a great horn and rhythm section. This song is one that my mom would play pretty often when I was growing up, so it holds a special place in my heart. But aside from that, I really love this song. It grooves so well, and although it is virtually the same thing over and over again (other than the bridge) it never feels repetitive. The bass line is awesome in this tune, so simple yet so great. I love when the song breaks down about halfway through and they vamp the progression, its almost like they knew people would end up sampling that groove! The horn line comes in with some really great parts during this section, with some VERY high trumpet playing. Overall, I love this song and its no wonder that it has remained a classic R&B song for so long. 

Here is Got To Be Real:



Father MC was a rapper from Brooklyn, NY who was mainly active in the early 90s. He has released 7 albums during his career, the most recent one having been released in 2010. He did not receive much fame during his career, however he did have a few songs reach the billboard charts. His greatest hit was I'll Do 4 U, which topped out at #20 on the charts. The song was a single from his first album Father's Day (he really played into the whole "Father" part of his name). 

I had never heard of Father MC prior to discovering this song, but I think the song is pretty good. As I mentioned with Black Sheep, I am not the biggest fan of this style of rapping from the 90s, especially his cadence which is very indicative of 90s rap. However, he is a good rapper so aside from my dislike of this style I think its great! Mary J. Blige sounds wonderful on this track, the song would not be the same without her vocals on it. It's hard not to like a song that uses this sample, its just so catchy and groovy. Father MC uses the sample directly from the song, using the opening horn lick as well as the groove itself. He's just pitched it down/slowed it down. The sample can be heard right at the beginning and throughout the song. 

Here's I'll Do 4 U:





Comments

Popular Posts